Wednesday, May 13, 2009

her-story (part 1)

(I had originally made one loooooooooong story, but I decided to break it up to make it easier to read)

When I was a Sophomore in high school I attended my 4th period Human Development class on a sunny Spring day. This week we were discussing human sexuality. On that particular day we would be discussing child birth. If I'm completely honest I don't remember the lecture at all, what I do remember was the video that was shone.

It was a video of a laboring mother. She was screaming, grunting and breathing rhythmically. She was in transition on the verge of pushing. It was the scariest thing I'd ever seen in my short 15 years on this earth. Moments later the camera moved in between her legs where you could see a bulging perineum. The lips of the womans vagina stretched as a small head made it's way through the opening.

My eyes wide, my chin hitting the top of my desk. I watched in horror as a small human emerged from between her knees. I remember the statement I made at that point, " I will NEVER be doing that!" That evening I told my parents that I would never be birthing my own children. If I felt I wanted to be a mother, I would most certainly adopt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes

"Women's bodies have near-perfect knowledge of childbirth; it's when their brains get involved that things can go wrong." -- Peggy Vincent


Blogs I Follow

 

Finding Lucina | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates